Very often, nowadays, I get asked the question, “What are some cool things to do in Austin?,” or “What MUST I do when I visit Austin?” Not a simple question to answer, considering the wealth of amazing opportunities, cool experiences and off-the-beaten path fun to be had here in the Capital City.
I sat down the other day and began a list of all the unique recommendations that I have passed along during my time living here. Thought I would compile that list and share with you. Keep in mind, by no means is this compilation IT. There’s so much more out there. However, I can promise you copious amount of laughter, fun and happiness by checking out any and all of these below.
Enjoy and happy exploring, gang!
20 Excellent Experiences For Every True Austinite (and our visitors!)
1) Attend a University of Texas Longhorns football game
2) Take a dip in Barton Springs Pool
3) Check out an evening bat flight from the Congress Avenue Ann Richards Bridge
4) Drop a quarter in the jukebox and grab a Lone Star at the Horseshoe Lounge
5) Breathe in the panoramic views from atop Mount Bonnell
6) Pay homage to a true guitar legend at the SRV Statue
7) Enjoy pure gluttony at the Friday Pork Chop Lunch at Perry’s Steakhouse & Grille
8) Experience Stand Up Paddle Boarding on Town Lake/Lady Bird Lake
9) Partake in Sunday Chicken Sh*t Bingo at Ginny’s Little Longhorn Saloon
10) Gorge yourself in amazing breakfast tacos at Cisco’s on the east side
11) Two-Step to your heart’s content at a classic Texas dance hall, the Broken Spoke
12) Experience seared meats like to no other (and the fun of the line) at the mecca I know as Franklin Barbecue
13) Attend a full weekend of the Austin City Limits Music Festival out at Zilker Park
14) Take a tour of the stunning beautiful Texas State Capitol building
15) Absorb the wonderfulness of Sunday Hippie Church at Maria’s Taco X-Press
16) Attack one of the best hamburgers in all of Austin (and one cool bar) at Casino El Camino
17) Attend a Wednesday of free, live music during the Summer at KGSR’s Blues on the Green at Zilker
18) Take the tour to the top of an Austin landmark and soak up the great sights from atop the UT Tower
19) Witness a taping of Austin City Limits at the new ACL Live at Moody Theater
20) Feast your eyes on the spectacular views and awesome sunsets at The Oasis on Lake Travis