Alright, alright, I realize 2012 has come and gone, but considering I live here in the “Live Music Capital of the World,” Austin, Texas, I would be remiss if I didn’t share one more “Best Of” from the past year…that being the most outstanding live music performances I caught over the last 12 months…both here in Austin and elsewhere.
Given such an unforgettable year of tunes, the narrowing of this list was no easy task and, admittedly, I was extremely fortunate to have witnessed some unbelievable shows throughout 2012. Really hate to leave off the likes of witnessing the band, fun., at three different points during SXSW 2012 or the remarkable “Austin City Limits” taping of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, among others, but I can honestly say that what I’ve included as my “Top Six” were each absolutely incredible live music experiences that I am happy to share with you here.
Without further adieu, below are the “Top Six” best concert performances I witnessed during 2012…
1) Robert Plant & Patty Griffin – The Continental Club (Austin) – 12/16/12
2) Coldplay – “Mylo Xyloto” Tour – American Airlines Center (Dallas) – 6/23/12
3) Old Crow Medicine Show, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Mumford & Sons – “The Big Easy Express” SXSW Performance – LBJ Library Lawn @ University of Texas Campus (Austin) – 3/17/12
4) We Walk The Line: “A Celebration of the Music of Johnny Cash” – ACL Live at Moody Theater (Austin) – 4/20/12
5) Ryan Bingham – “Tomorrowland” Tour – Stubb’s BBQ (Austin) – 10/4/12
6) Gary Clark, Jr. – ACL Music Festival @ Zilker Park (Austin) – 10/14/12